Thursday, June 14, 2012

Day 11 and 12. Travel Days I'd Like to Forget

Day 11 was to be our last in Mongolia and it was one I'd like to forget. Once again an American breakfast...that would be my third in 4 meals. Normally this would excite me however, I really didn't have an appetite. We returned to pack-up one last time and loaded the two 9 passenger mini-van taxis. Lets say it was tight. We were all wanting to get back to our families but a 6 hour ride in these conditions was not ideal. However, this tour was not about comfort was it. It was about tearing down the symbolic Ashera poles on the high places. And the Mongolian drivers was not all about getting us there quickly. The 2 vans looked similar but preformed very different. My van would race off leaving the other in the dust. We then would stop and wait for the other to catch up. However, every time it did, it would stop and everyone would exit for a potty break!?! Meaning ever 20 minutes there was a 10 minute break. This on top of the 3 stops we made in order for the driver to sell something he had brought with him. Add lunch and the traffic once we hit UB and this 5-6 hour trip turned into 8. Lets just say the faces of all when exiting told the story. I wish I was alive enough to take one. Our home was a hotel but I was to concerned with a new pain in my left knee and leg to notice. Once we all got settled we were set to have our last meal, however, I wasn't feeling that great and the pain in my leg prevented me from joining them. Robby and I had to be out at 5am so we hit the hay early. On day 11 I woke to a very stiff and tender leg. I was concerned but just thought I had positioned it oddly in the taxi and it was just sore. Mark and I both had the thought it could be Staph but I didn't have any redness or other symptoms. I decided I would brave it and head to Seoul. It was a very uneventful trip lasting about 4 hours total. We looked into getting home on an earlier flight but it was a no go. We chose a hostel and jumped on a bus. On the way I decided to take a look at the leg under my pants. Something was not right. It was bright red, very swollen and there was a red line streaking up the inside of my leg. Looks like I was right about that river and I didn't clean my scabbed leg well enough. The result...STAPH! Once at the hostel I was online seeking answers and I didn't like what I found. I Skyped Staci and hoped she had a non-medical cure. Her suggestion, get to the hospital. Just then the Hostel owner walked in the room...like an angle from heaven. She took my hand and the next 30 minutes was unbelievable. I was treated by a retired former top doctor in Seoul who in a matter of 15 minutes had cleaned and dressed my soccer scabs and given me a shot of penicillin...all for $35. And did I mention the 3 days of anti-biotics fr another $10! We were tired and I was told to rest. We hung at another great hostel with some french guys and passed out early.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Praying that God will continue to heal, guide, and protect you for the remainder of your journey, and that His name will be proclaimed and glorified as a result of your trip.

    Be safe guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! We are praying for you Shane! We are also praying for Staci and the kids. YHVH has you in His hands and this is all for a reason and will only bring Him glory.

    The Rosens

    ReplyDelete